Thursday, August 26, 2010

Catholic Fiction

What is Catholic fiction? Is it strictly fiction about Catholic characters? Fiction written by Catholic authors? Perhaps it's fiction that doesn't contradict the Catholic faith. Maybe it's simply fiction that Catholics tend to enjoy.


June of this year Jimmy Akin put up a list of his top ten. I'm quite happy to use his list as a springboard, after all, he's the guy who wrote that captivating post on the morality of zombie bashing:

I'd add, in no particular order...

Regina Doman's Fairy Tale novels, which are very Catholic and incredibly enchanting.

Karina Fabian's Magic, Mensa, and Mayhem. It's a witty and fun adventure with a dragon and a nun. Check out all of her writing, really, that's just my favorite. :)

John McNichol's The Tripods Attack! It's an H.G. Wells-like steampunk adventure with a Martian invasion starring a young fictionalized G.K. Chesterton.

The list would not be complete without the John Paul 2 High series. Though I haven't read them yet, I've heard great things about this Catholic young adult series.

Awakening, by Claudia Cangilla McAdam is about a modern teenage girl thrust back into the time of Christ.

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis is a must (though he wasn't Catholic).

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (You saw that coming, didn't you?)


G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown mysteries as well as The Man Who Was Thursday.

Obviously, you should check out the other titles by these authors. These are just my top picks.

Syzygy, by Amanda Borenstadt. Thought I'd sneak my own in there. ;)


I hope others will add to this list. It's far from complete (I whipped it out in a few minutes) and it leans considerably toward the young adult modern. So, add what you'd like. Maybe pitch us your own short story, novel, or Catholic fiction or poetry blog. I'll add it to the list. :)

Here are some more resources that you may enjoy:


Catholic Fiction Blog

http://catholicblogfiction.blogspot.com/


Debra Murphy's list on Catholic Fiction.net

http://www.catholicfiction.net/catholic-fiction-reading-list/


The SciFi Catholic

http://www.scificatholic.com/


P.S.
I'm eager to review or do interviews for books and I'd love for somebody to host something for my novel. I'm new at this and so might be somewhat stupid, but I'm nice. :)



****

No comments:

Post a Comment