Friday, March 18, 2011

The Stations of the Cross



During Lent my parish does The Stations of the Cross on Friday evenings. This is a deeply prayerful journey with Jesus through his last moments on Earth. Maybe they do it at your parish too, or at one close to you. It's so worth checking into.

My little girls and I hardly ever miss it because we know it helps us focus on the reason for... I was going to say Easter, but I should say "FOR EVERYTHING."



When they were little, they couldn't follow along with the exact prayers said at the service, so we brought our copy of The Story of the Cross by Mary Joslin and the little booklet of the stations that we made at home. We had ordered Stations of the Cross stickers off the internet. And they looked at those as I prayed along with the congregation out of the "grown-up" booklet.



These items from CatholicChild.com look good: Stations of the Cross for Children  AND the Stations Poster And they have some other nice Stations-of-the-Cross themed products.

Here's an awesome audio Stations of The Cross. You can preview a sample of a couple of the tracks before you buy.

If you can't get to Stations, no sweat. Here's a beautiful online version. But there is something very profound about visiting the stations at church, either alone in silent mediation or with other people.

Just show up if you find one scheduled somewhere. At our church, they lend you a little booklet and you can follow along with the prayers so you know when to listen to the reader and when to respond. Some parts you kneel for, but you'll catch on quickly. At some churches it's done outdoors and you walk from station to station. Other parishes have it inside the church.

So, how are you doing with your Lenten sacrifices? (Come on, this ain't hard. We give up chocolate, Facebook, or swearing. Jesus just gave up HIS LIFE!) Dang, coffee is going to taste good to me at Easter brunch. :)

And don't forget, no meat on Fridays of Lent!






4 comments:

  1. Instead of giving up something I read something extra each day, so I can focus on the Lord more fully during Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful thing to do, Teresa! Great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sooo cool! you are on my cool list today! I'm going to get this for my girls!

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete