Thursday, May 5, 2011

Holy Graduation Gifts and How to Choose a Good Catholic College

"You sound like my uncle. He's always going on about college. The other morning I found a pamphlet about choosing a good Catholic university sticking half way out of the corn flake box. Just a subtle hint."

That's a quote from my novel, Syzygy (available in print and as an ebook- see my sidebar)


Soon many high schoolers will graduate and start packing for college. Other students are only beginning to plan their post high school paths. It can feel like a parent's last chance to shove some guidance in before the son or daughter spreads his or her wings and takes off.

I know from experience that emerging into adulthood can be a time of mistakes- both big and small. Mistakes are natural and to be expected. Everyone will tell you that. But I'm here to tell you that some mistakes can threaten a person's life and soul. That is not a popular statement, but tough cookies. I'll state it anyway.

College is very often the place where a level headed person goes way batty. Depending on the subject and the college, the instructors are VERY LIBERAL. And I don't mean that in the sense of "broadminded." I mean they can be any combination of atheist, anti-Christian, man haters (among other things).

My experiences with these types of professors aren't unique, from what I've read and heard. I was fairly brainwashed into their way of thinking (if you'll forgive my melodramatics) until I "woke up."


Hopefully your kids (or you, if you're the college student reading this) won't go through the temporary insanity I went through.

Now that I'm done with my little rant, I'll get to the purpose of this blog post which is...

Holy High School Graduation Gifts and How to Choose a Good Catholic College

All of these can be found at the shop at Catholic Answers.

How to Stay Catholic in College is a tiny booklet $1.95 

Romance Without Regret CD $5.95. This is the public school version, so even if you're buying for your secular friend's kid, this should be okay.



The Best of Catholic Answers Live is a CD set with tons of the Catholic Answers radio shows on them. ($19.95) It's my belief that when a person understands the Faith, they're less likely to turn away from it. In college a person will hear many lies about Christianity, but if they're armed with the truth, it won't matter so much. If you upload these CDs into an iPod for your college student, maybe they'll listen as they jog, draw, do laundry, etc. They can listen to the CDs in the car. This might be the most valuable gift out of my entire list and it's not just for students! :)

Here's a good resource if you are shopping around for a good Catholic College. Not every Catholic college is very Catholic. I don't know, it might be worse for a good Catholic to be amid poor Catholic instructors than to go to a purely secular school where they are fully on guard. Darn frustrating anyway. Something to think about.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post! Even with attending Catholic colleges a number of them are Catholic in name only and thus its hard to stay Catholic. Many do not follow Catholic values or even Christian values today. Thank goodness I found Franciscan University in Steubenville.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Teresa. :)
    Yay for Franciscan University!

    ReplyDelete