Friday, October 28, 2011

The Power of Words and Doing God's Work

Word Cloud for my Catholic Blog
I made a world cloud at Wordle.net for this blog. You just feed it the url and Wordle does the rest. It seems to mainly take into account the most recent posts.

Looking at the most prominent words, I got to thinking about the power of words. Which words I'm placing in my blog, in my current novel in progress, and which words I allow to flow from my mouth or onto my Facebook wall. Do I want to set off my liberal friends with my pro-life views? Sometimes debates are sparked. That's healthy, but exhausting at times because I know the power of words. When the issues are important, the words should be accurate, honest, and compassionate. Ideally, my words in every conversation should be. Though there's plenty of room/time for silly, fun words as well.

So, how about that novel of mine? Is that God's work as much as a pro-life FB debate or a blog whose purpose is to welcome Catholics back into the Church? In three words- it should be.
Word Cloud for my Work In Progress Twelve Keys

St. Therese the Little Flower wrote, "What matters in life is not great deeds, but great love." Everything we do should be for the love of God and love for our fellow humans. Remember Jesus says in Matthew 22:37-40:

You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And the second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets.

So, again, I ask myself- this novel of mine- in it, am I doing God's work? I had better be. Just as I'd better be doing God's work when I homeschool my kids, cook dinner, clean the house, interact with other people in the world. Do I do it well all the time? Of course not. But I owe it to my God and my neighbor to try.

I wonder, if I did a word cloud of all of my words and thoughts and deeds of a single day, what would populate it? What would populate yours?

Something to think about.


2 comments:

  1. Those are some pretty neat word clouds. My word cloud representing a single day would be interesting to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Teresa. :)
    Yeah, for me, I think my personal word cloud would depend on the particular day.

    ReplyDelete