Friday, December 30, 2011

Catholic Blogs, Resolutions, and Hugo Movie Review

Blog Hopping

I went blog hopping at some of the blogs participating in The Conversion Diary's Quick Takes Friday thing. Now I wish I'd been doing it. Maybe I shall this Friday. It might get me blogging more regularly. Maybe that could be one of my New Year's Resolutions- to blog more.

Resolutions

Speaking of resolutions, I'd like to direct you to a post by The Licensed Fool on "Baggage and Belonging"  I felt it inspirational. He talks about taking ownership for one's choices so that you can fully surrender to the Lord. Well, he explains it better. It's worth the trip over there to read his insight.

HUGO

I brought the twins to see Hugo. The movie was as wonderful as the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick, about a boy in the 1930's living in the clockworks at a Paris train station. I can't remember when I've said that. It's different because the book had pages and pages of amazing drawings mixed with the narration. But they both have a place.



We didn't see it in 3D, but there was still that feel of movement through the train station and the clockworks. I think 3D glasses would have been inconvenient, actually, because I had tears in my eyes so often. It's such a bittersweet story.

The other nice thing about the story in film form- you get to see some original footage of the old old films such as A Trip to the Moon. I've watched it on YouTube, but something about seeing it on the big screen made it magical.



On the moral meter- this film is nearly perfect. There's no sex or nudity. No bad language. There is minimal violence. One character smokes and drinks too much, but he's not a central character, we don't like him, and he's eventually found dead in the river. (No yuckiness is shown.)

There's a tiny side story that they could have done without. You hear minor adult characters discussing whether or not a man's wife's baby is his or not.

One couple in the movie have a crucifix over their bed. Not that it makes it a Catholic film, but it's nice to see.

4 comments:

  1. Hugo sounds like a great movie.

    Admitting the wrongs you've done is important. So is forgiving others who have done wrongs against you. Both bring healing to the soul, mind, and body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie is great I have watched it.Very touching and full of lessons to learned.It might be hard but it is also possible to happen in the real world.Am also reading Catholic faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mae~ So true. Thanks for dropping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete