Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pink Unicorns, Rainbows, and Pasta


One of my beta readers pointed out there is religious satire built around an invisible pink unicorn. Apparently it's something like the flying spaghetti monster--a fabled deity one of my atheist friends enjoys tossing at me via Facebook. I finally had to figure out what the heck she was going on about. If I'm to be ridiculed, I may as well understand the finer points of the taunt. It seems the belief in God is like believing in the spaghetti monster. The invisible pink unicorn is in the same vein.

One of the characters in my wip is a pink unicorn, albeit quite visible. So what? Does this mean readers will assume I'm doing a religious parody? What if my characters consume spaghetti with said unicorn? And heaven forbid if they should do so under a rainbow, because you know who has tried to hijack that symbol. A Biblical symbol going back to the Old Testament when God promised not to flood the world again. Now it's flown by cross-dressers in gay pride parades, as if they were taunting Him to let loose the flood. Lord have mercy. And just to clarify, I've no problem with people with same sex attraction issues. I encourage you to check out COURAGE for help with that.

But pink unicorns, rainbows, and spaghetti have been around before atheists and others took them as their symbols. And they are all things I love. Why shouldn't I enjoy them as they were meant to be enjoyed? How dare they snatch these things from innocence! Allow the pink unicorns to romp in the green fields under rainbows, slurping spaghetti. Hmm, I'm not altogether sure if they do eat spaghetti. Guess I should consult my youngest daughters on that point.

Or maybe I should give in and color my Unicorn blue.


Want proof in God's existance so you can refute the claims of the pink unicorn hijackers? Check out Robert Spitzer's book, New Proofs for the Existence of God: Contributions of Contemporary Physics and Philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment