Saturday, February 18, 2012

Lent, Ash Wednesday, Facebook, and Poetry

ash wednesday

On your anniversary (or maybe Valentine's Day) you renew your vows, your love and commitment to your spouse, right? Well, during Lent we renew our love and commitment to our savior. Lent is about prayer, fasting, and almsgiving--all things that unite us to God and things that are good to do often anyway.

Lent is a time to reboot our prayer life and our relationship with our Lord. On Ash Wednesday, (Feb. 22, 2012 this year), we'll get ashes put on our foreheads. Even though it's not a holy day of obligation, it's wildly popular even for non-regular church-goers. I myself returned to the Catholic Church on an Ash Wednesday years ago. I'm not sure I can put into words why that is, but I'll try.

Maybe it's because I wanted so badly to repent and crawl back into the arms of my Lord and my God. Lent is the time we walk with our Lord on his way to Calvary and the Cross where he shows how much He loves us. God didn't have to die for us. What is more loving than for God to clothe Himself in flesh for the purpose of dying?

If you want to read about the history of Ash Wednesday go here.

Lent Poetry Contest at the Opium Cactus:
Maybe I'll win world's worst poem. LOL

I'm giving up Facebook for Lent. Wow. How will I do that?  Sometimes it feels a bit addicting, though I use it for good, I think. I network with other writers and keep up to date with faraway friends and relatives. I also spread pro-life messages, which certain friends and relatives quickly slap down...

I guess I'll check in on Sundays to see if I have any private messages. But I'll leave a post on my wall to say I'm off until Easter.


No comments:

Post a Comment