Friday, August 24, 2012

How Can I Know if a Sin is Mortal or Venial?

Reconciliation Coloring Page. Click here for source.


I was thinking about the sacrament of Reconciliation (aka Confession) and wondered if I had a good handle on what a mortal sin is.

You don't need to confess venial sins, though it's a good idea and the Church encourages it. I blogged about confessing venial sins last year.

Often the difference between mortal and venial sins is very clear, but sometimes not.

After poking around, I found a blog post at Aggie Catholics. I subscribe to the blog, but somehow missed this valuable post: Grave Matter: What Makes Mortal Sin "Mortal"?

It discusses how the Ten Commandments are a great place to start, but to keep in mind Jesus' Sermon on the Mount (Matthew chapters 5, 6, and 7) where He tells us such things as not only is it wrong to commit adultery, but you shouldn't even look at somebody lustily.

The blog post even gives a handy list of sins. That phrase looks funny to me "handy list of sins." But it really is. And it makes a good examination of conscience.

No comments:

Post a Comment