Saturday, October 20, 2012

October Baby


October Baby is a movie about a teenage girl, Hannah, who learns she's adopted, and that all of her health problems can be attributed to her birth. She was born alive after a failed abortion.

Feeling betrayed by her parents and utterly unwanted, Hannah goes on a trip with her best friend to discover why her birth mom would abort her. She learns many things about the circumstances of her birth, how much her parents really love her, and so much more. There's even one major reveal that I'll leave for you to discover as you watch this film.

I don't know when I've cried so much during a movie. So bittersweet! My twin eleven-year-old daughters watched it with me and they loved it as much as I did.

October Baby was inspired by a real-life abortion survivor, Gianna Jessen. You can hear Gianna's thoughts on the film in this interview.

The movie conveys a strong pro-life message, and at the same time, it evokes compassion for the bio mom who aborted. In the after-the-film interview, actress Shari Rigby, who played the mom, talked about how her own abortion affected her. Playing the part had a healing effect on her.

I highly recommend this film. In fact, I think it should be required viewing for middle schoolers on up to age 142.

The caveat: The film is rated PG-13. There's no violence nor sex. However, the main character, Hannah, defends herself to her best friend (who is a guy) because she's worried she comes off as a prude because she doesn't want to share a hotel room, even though there's no romance between them at this point.

She makes a comment about sounding like one of those "Christian homeschoolers." I smiled at that comment, while at the same time cringing because my homeschooled, Christian daughters are sitting right there. But Hannah sort of comes off as babbling nervously and her friend is nothing but kind and respectful. This didn't sour me on the movie nor my decision to show it to my girls. And there's a beautiful scene when Hannah, though Baptist, enters a Catholic church and tells her story to the priest and he gives her words of wisdom.
 
Read more at the Parental Guide.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment