Sunday, September 8, 2013

Put The Lord First and Everything Becomes Better!


Before Mass this morning, I read today's Gospel reading: which comes from Luke 14. Jesus says this:

If anyone comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.

I also read that in Jesus' day the word "hate" can be used as a hyperbole to simply mean "to love more than."

Later, sitting in my pew waiting for Mass to begin, I thought about this... (Well, perhaps it was the Holy Spirit who suggested it.)

~If you love God more than your family, you can love your family better than if you loved them more than God.

I have found this to be true. When I put God first in my life, I am able to love my family with more purity and more selflessness. And it feels wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment